Unique views on music, politics, life.

Brandensbaked...The Id of a dude in upper left 'Merica. Trump hater! The creative force behind "American Supercell", a BIG DEAL in the Clover Valley music scene, played guitar in "Bonedawgs", "Banner Jump", and "Musclefuzz". Is proficient in all the manly arts, such as creating art, constructing useful things, mechanics, combat gardening, and respecting women. Possibly an immortal...Time will tell.

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

I have a dream....

At first, I don't know where I am, only that I'm not alone. X is there, he's driving. He mutters something about not wanting to get shot. Someone got shot here last week, so X figures this somehow increases his chance of being shot here tonight. "No worries X," I assure him, "I'm packin my one slash eight, and if I whip that shit out, people gonna get fucked up." 2Lo is sitting next to me in the back. He passes that which should always be full. I hit it.... it hits me back. Through the mist, I can see lighted signs. Power? Powder? Ahh, Powell Street. That must be where we are. Suddenly I am aware that we are all seated around a table, but for some reason, we all face the same direction. I am sitting in a barrell chair and it swivels. Music fills the perfume laden air, and we are bathed in ultraviolet light.
I am clutching something in my hand. It's money. I smooth out the bills, all ones. As my wits return, I realize I've been bewitched by a beautiful siren. She is flawless. Her eyes draw me in, I cannot look away. No, wait, those aren't eyes. Where her eyes should be, instead, are two perfectly polished oval mirrors. As she turns, I survey the entire room in the reflection. From the sweet comfort of her gaze I see myself. I look so happy. It is the most honest look I've ever given. This happiness is pure, unpolluted by the oily residue of guilt. The girl strips off her bra and panties and is quickly rewarded witadolla by 2Lo. The Serving Wench returns with ice cold Corona. Half-naked girls moved all around me, brushing by, whispering in my ear. "No thanks, my heart belongs to another", I reply. "She should be up again any minute," and right on cue, she is. She and I share a perfect love, a well defined love, an equal love. "I could stay here forever" I wish outloud. Alas, it must end, for now. I begin my long journey back to my world. Although I must depart, rest assured, I shall return...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Monday, Jan. 24, 2005 ]

Student finds enjoyment from lighting up
Editor's note: This is the third in a profile series focusing on Penn State and State College community members and their weekend activities.


By Paul Thompson
Collegian Staff Writer
Look around George's apartment and you can sort of tell.

There's a tube of bubbles sitting on the coffee table and four video game systems sitting on the floor. Posters of Pink Floyd, Tool and Mallrats cover the walls. Cans of aerosol air freshener are scattered everywhere.

Two friends sit on the couch while they play a video game and discuss their Japanese professors. And one of them is resting his feet on a book, Saying Yes: In Defense of Drug Use.

"The wired rolling papers are fabulous; you don't have to worry about burning your fingers," George said of a packet sitting on the floor. "The wire in rolling papers is the greatest innovation in joint technology since the gummed edge."

George smokes pot. He said he has done it virtually every day since he started college three-and-a-half years ago. This weekend would be no different.

"I'm going to smoke a blunt," George said of Friday night's plans. "Then, I don't know. Usually, since it's a weekend, I would generally stay in, but I'm waiting for a call."

Though it's often hard to get a lot of potheads to do, well, anything, George eventually did get his call Friday night. Braving the looming blizzard, he ventured out of his apartment to visit a friend on the other side of town.

"It can be [demotivational]," he said of getting high as often as he does. "A lot of times I'll smoke and then any thoughts I had of going out later are trampled. I usually enjoy hanging out with my friends in a quiet situation more than going out, though, so it's not a real problem."

George, too, feels that some stereotypes about marijuana users don't hold true for a lot of people.

"There sure are [stereotypes] about laziness and responsibility, but I'm more responsible than many people who don't smoke," George said. "Oftentimes when I'm high, I feel like doing the dishes, or lifting weights. [Pot and laziness] don't go hand in hand."

Take, for example, George's Friday night plan for his weekend academic work.



PHOTO: Randall Mortzfield
George smokes a bong. He said he enjoys smoking in closets.

"No homework," George said. "I already did it all."

At 9 on Friday night, George's homework was finished?

"My GPA is 3.5, and I don't really skip class," George said. "I'm a pretty responsible pothead."

George, who plays hockey recreationally, bemoaned this weekend's bad weather as a hindrance to his sporting plans.

"It helps for playing sports," George said of smoking pot. "I usually have more ball awareness in hockey. And you should see me throw a football. I got the focus."

Even if he doesn't go out, George said he feels his place is well-situated for someone of his lifestyle.

"I have a nice stereo to enjoy my music on, and soft couches," George said.

George points out, it's also equipped with unused storage space perfect for changing his typical routine up a bit.

"What really matters is location," George said. "I like smoking in closets."

Really? Closets?

"Any closet will do, really," George said. "It's important to have a seat in the closet, and if possible, a black light, or some music. I enjoy the atmosphere, because it's different from your usual everyday situation."

Like most stoners, George has something to say about the legal status of his drug of choice.

"It should be regulated in a similar way to alcohol, because, frankly, I feel that alcohol is worse for you and worse for the society," George said.

Saturday night, George had wanted to go sledding at the hill next to Bryce Jordan Center, but his plans to enjoy the snow were thwarted because he said his friend was too drunk to go out.

Instead, George sat around his apartment with a few friends and played the word game Taboo until late.

His plans for yesterday seemed similar to those of other students -- with one difference.